PDF Coming Soon | Email radmarya (at) gmail (dot) com for further information
Senior Editor, BreakingNews.com (MSNBC.com), New York, N.Y. Oct. 2011 – Present
Associate News Editor, Mashable.com, New York, N.Y. Sept. 2010 – Oct. 2011
• Edit and write news posts focusing on social media and digital trends for Mashable.com, especially in areas such as business, entertainment, international issues and politics. Lead edit site during editor in chief’s absence.
• Write posts selected for syndication on Yahoo News, USAToday.com and CNN.com’s Tech section.
• Share content via Facebook, Twitter and Google Buzz. Write headlines and SEO; create and edit photo galleries.
• Spoke on “The Mario Armstrong Show,” a satellite radio show, about Saudi Arabia’s Women2Drive campaign.
Digital Media Intern, National Public Radio, Washington, D.C. June 2010 – Sept. 2010
• Built Web pages for NPR.org’s Arts & Life section; collected and edited photos, video clips and text for pages, while also writing headlines and captions. Assisted with research; transcribed and edited radio text for the Web.
• Produced and photographed pieces for Intern Edition, an online intern-produced radio/multimedia program.
News Intern, WNYC Public Radio, New York, N.Y. Jan. 2010 – May 2010
• Collected sound bites at events and press conferences throughout the city, prepared tape and copy for broadcast, edited audio, wrote blog posts, and assisted reporters with research.
• Covered mass transit, NYPD, housing, immigration, political issues and more.
Editorial Assistant, Staff Writer, NJN Publishing, Flemington, N.J. July 2008 – July 2009
• Laid out, edited and uploaded text and photos for print and online editions of Suburban News, a weekly newspaper distributed in Union County, New Jersey.
• Wrote feature stories about music festivals, and profiled local artists and athletes for pieces published in Suburban News, The Cranford Chronicle and The Record-Press.
Editorial Assistant, Rosen Publishing Group, New York, N.Y. July 2007 – April 2008
• Copyedited, proofread and fact-checked drafts for children’s nonfiction books; handled administrative tasks.
Reporter, Editor, The Daily Targum, New Brunswick, N.J. Jan. 2005 – Feb. 2007
Rutgers University Campus Newspaper Circulation: 17,000
• Edited and wrote articles focusing on university governance, campus crime, the arts, as well as breaking news.
• Assigned articles, oversaw daily “University” section, and led production as Editor in Chief of Aug. 2006 issue.
Staff Writer, Correspondent
• Reported on a beat; covered off-campus events, including a political rally with Jon Corzine and Barack Obama.
MULTIMEDIA: Adobe Photoshop, Audacity and other audio software, Final Cut Pro, Flash ActionScript (basic), HTML and some CSS, QuarkXPress, Social Media, WordPress and other CMS.
LANGUAGES: Conversational Hindi, intermediate French and Punjabi.
M.S. Journalism, Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, New York, N.Y., May 2010
• Digital media concentration. Coursework: business and economics reporting, feature writing, audio editing, photojournalism, slideshow production, video storytelling. May 2010 video documentary, “The Night Shift.”
B.A. English, Music Minor, Rutgers University: Rutgers College, New Brunswick, N.J., May 2007
• Graduated with Honors; Dean’s List: Spring 2005 – Spring 2007; Rutgers Undergraduate English Honors Program.
LEADERSHIP | EXTRACURRICULARS
Publicity Director, Society of Professional Journalists, Columbia University, Sept. 2009 – May 2010
South Asian Journalists Association, Sept. 2009 – present
References available upon request.